UPDATE: In the original recipe, I talked about the wonders of yogurt, but I've recently discovered it's what was making my pancakes and crepes tough. Apple sauce makes a way better oil substitute! Yogurt is still a delicious topping :)
I reworked Jacques Pepin's classic recipe to make it lower in fat and easier on my poor, dumb gallbladder.
They turned out pretty excellent. Make sure you mix the batter just long enough to get out the lumps, but no longer!
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/2 cup non-fat milk
3 Tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1. Heat a mid-sized, non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and apple sauce. Then add the dry ingredients and mix just enough to get rid of lumps. Now stir in the cold water.
3. Spray the hot pan evenly with cooking spray. Use a small ladle to spoon the the batter into the pan. Two scoops should be enough. Pick up your pan and tilt it around to spread the batter evenly. The movement is in the wrist. This takes a little practice to get perfect, but, remember, even ugly crepes taste delicious!
4. Let the crepe cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip (cooking times may vary).
5. Fill with your choice of toppings. Fresh fruit, jam, more yogurt, or just cinnamon and sugar! I went with all 5 toppings ;)
I looooovvve Spring! Life is just filled with blooms. And isn't this bouquet the most beautiful you've ever seen? I walk into my kitchen just to stare at it. With my husband gone, I have a little extra room in the grocery budget, so they've been a weekly treat. I'm having an affair with Trader Joe's.
Much more sensible than my last outfit, right? I'm really on a roll with these outfit posts! It helps that, this time of year, I almost always have an empty apartment that's in between tenants. All the other apartments have way better natural lighting than mine.
This dress is one of those pieces that I love, keep in my closet, then decide to finally give up. It's too short for work and doesn't quite fit me the way I'd like it to. I'm still so in love with the idea of it though! Time to find it a new home. The strappy sandals I'm wearing are also up for grabs. They're made of the softest leather!
What a wonderful weekend! Although it wasn't as warm as I would have liked, it was still beautiful AND Trevor came home! We went out for crepes on Friday morning, bummed around Ballard all day, then had fancy pizza at Cornutoin Greenwood. I worked Saturday, but afterwards, Trevor was determined to eat oysters, so we had dinner at Ballard Annex. It was my first time there, and certainly not my last. The inside is super cool, the seafood was amazing, and the great service was just the cherry on top. And then today was Easter, so I feel like all we did was eat this weekend.
Instagrammy-whammy! The soaps shaped like crystals are from Prism on Ballard Avenue.
Hangin' out with Tilly's friends, Chip, Hammy and Creampuff.
Reeee-diculous. These overalls, man. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna cut them into shorts, but still, there's something awkward-cool about leaving them at this length. What do you think? Trevor hates them, obvi.