This is another recipe I developed using leftover bits. My husband and I can never seem to eat our way through an entire bag of tortillas before they go bad, so I'm always looking for new ways to use them. Bananas are another thing I have trouble using up before they go "bad" (I only eat them when they're still a little green). I've ended up with this simple, delicious recipe that is the perfect sweet finish on Taco night.
Makes 1 serving
1/2 a banana
2 small corn tortillas
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp coconut oil
2 lime wedges
You don't have to follow the directions word for word; this one can be free-styled. I didn't do a great job of timing everything, so these are all estimates. Just use your best judgment.
1. Place a frying pan over medium heat. Place 1 tsp coconut oil into pan.
2. Slice the banana into10 or so pieces. Place half the banana slices in the pan along with one of the tortillas. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the bananas have started to brown. Flip everything over and let cook for another 3 minutes or so.
3. When the bananas have browned to your liking, place them all on the tortilla. Now put the second batch of bananas in the pan, with a little bit more coconut butter.
5. Remove the assembled tortilla from the pan and set aside. Now, add the rest of the coconut butter and second tortilla. Turn to coat.
6. Once the bananas have browned on both sides you can flip the tortilla and top with the fried bananas. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and a squeeze of lime. Let cook for 2 minutes or so.
7. Remove from pan and serve with a slice of lime. Enjoy!
Tips & Facts:
1. This recipe is vegan, but check the tortilla ingredients beforehand. Sometimes they are made with traditional lard.
2. This can be made with as little or as much sugar as you prefer, and would also be delicious made with honey or agave syrup.
3. As far as fats go, coconut oil is amazingly good for you! Read more about its benefits here
4. Don't fall into the trap of thinking vegan=super healthy! This recipe still has a lot of fat, so I recommend eating only two :)