My husband said this is one of the best dishes I've ever made, so I thought it might be a good one to post on the blog! Hopefully it turns out as well for you! Let me know if you have any problems or if any of the directions are unclear.
Serves 3 to 4 people
1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil, plus more for the polenta
½ Onion, thinly sliced
3 links Italian chicken sausage, sliced
1 bunch of Kale, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
3 banana/wax peppers, seeded and sliced
½ cup mild Italian pickled vegetables, plus Tbsp brine
1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
¼ cup fresh Basil, chopped
1 can Artichoke Hearts
1 tube Polenta, sliced
Red pepper flakes, to taste
1. Turn on the broiler to low. Drizzle some olive oil on a baking sheet and arrange the polenta slices. Drizzle with more oil. Broil until golden brown. Flip each slice, drizzle with a little more oil and broil.
2. In a deep sided saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the onions until soft.
3. Add the sausage and cook thoroughly.
4. Stir in the kale, garlic, peppers and pickled vegetables. Saute for 5 minutes.
5. Lastly, add the basil, artichokes, vinegar, pickle brine, and pepper flakes. Saute an additional 5 minutes.
6. Serve over the polenta.